In the last two years I have walked endless library halls as I complete my thesis for my Master of Arts degree. Through my research and writing process I have come to truly love, libraries. While passing through endless book stacks, searching for that one book that is going to magically solve my thesis predicament, I have learned to treasure the library atmosphere and the physicality of the collections of books. I love exploring the inside and outside of publications and taking in the mysterious codes like NH 3675.FH stamped on their spines. This admiration for reading, knowledge and discovery turned into a body of work entitled Library Love. Through this series of work I hope to share that moment when one discovers the love for books, articles, codes and libraries.
1. Title: Dana and the Morning Walks. Size: 32 x 42 inches. Medium: Oil on Canvas. Maca Suazo, 2014
2. Title: Books Were My Shelter. Size:32 x 42 inches. Medium:Oil on Canvas. Maca Suazo, 2014
3. Title: Life Time of Reading I II & III. Size: 16 x 8 inches each panel. Medium: Oil on Canvas. Maca Suazo, 2014
4. Title: Library at Night. Size: 60 x 24 inches. Medium: Oil on Canvas. Maca Suazo, 2014
5. Title: Due Date. Size: 16 x 24 inches. Medium: Mixed Media. Maca Suazo, 2014
6. Title: On Hold (detail I & II). Size: 48 x 48 inches. Medium: Oil on Canvas. Maca Suazo, 2014
Farm Days is a series of paintings that intend to translate my experience of working on an Organic Farm to paint. The paintings embody the experience of working under all weather conditions, watching plants grow from seed to harvesting the vegetables. By using a diversity of textures, shapes and colour combinations, I have tried to capture the mysteries force found in nature, the importance of rain and sunshine and the cycles that naturally happen to all living things, the intelligence that lives within each seed, the complexity of systems such a pollinators and the need to rotate crops. In some paintings I have tried an abstract composition to portrait the work involved in farming while in other paintings, I have taken a more naïf approach as to depict the almost utopian desire of having a small scale organic farm of my own some day.
1. Title: The Whistling Farmer. Size: 36 x 36 inches. Medium: Oil on Canvas. Maca Suazo, 2017
2. Title: The Barn Cat’s Empire. Size: 40 x 60 inches. Medium: Oil on Canvas. Maca Suazo, 2017
3. Title: Farm Chores. Size: 24 x 36 inches. Medium: Oil on Canvas. Maca Suazo, 2017
4. Title: Sing No More of Sorrow and Gloom. Size: 50 x 50 inches. Medium: Oil on Canvas. Maca Suazo, 2017
5. Title: I Dreamed The Rain and The Rain Came and Peace Came Over the Farm. Size: 48 x 48 inches. Medium: Oil on Canvas. MacaSuazo, 2017
Maca Suazo has been interested in the artistic expression of emotion, movement and essence through the media of painting, literature and drama. She holds a diploma in Physical Theatre from La Mancha International School of Gesture and Image, in Santiago, Chile, and has acted professionally in both Chile and Canada. Since immigrating to Canada, she has increasingly dedicated herself to Visual Arts. She has exhibited and sold her work in Chile, Ireland and Canada. Suazo graduated from Fine Arts at the University of Waterloo (2010) and completed her Master of Arts in Latina American Literature at the University of Guelph (2013). Her current work reflects the relationship between painting and literature, particularly magic realism.